Friday, September 02, 2005

Sun City

Where: I’m currently in southern California. I’ve been following the news about Katrina as much as I could during my travels. I’m currently at a hotel in Moreno Valley California and will be attending a wedding tomorrow up in the mountains.

Contrast: I flew in to Sacramento, CA. The glimpses of Lake Tahoe and the Sierras as we were getting ready to land made my heart flutter. Familiar, comforting. But landing was a rude awakening of how dry it is here. Of course, that is familiar, too, all too familiar. One of the things I really don’t like about California is the dry grass in the summer. That’s why people flock to the oceans and the mountains which are so pretty they make up for any faults of the valley.

Gas:
Yesterday, Thursday, I filled up the gas tank at $3.09 as we drove down I-5 to Los Angeles. I saw this morning gas signs for $2.92 a gallon. I read that Erie had gas at $3.19. Whoa, what’s wrong with this picture?

Heat:
It was 100 degrees but I just didn’t notice the heat. Low humidity makes all the difference. No sticky clothes or sweaty back and neck. Of course I’m not outside working in it.

Ocean:
After the wedding we’ll be heading for the Ocean and stay at my sister’s house right on the beach near Ventura. I love it there. I’ll take pictures of some of the odd landscaping you find in the coastal communities. Lots of art expression. A few days there, then back up to the northern Sierras to spend time with my Dad.

No comments: