Monday, March 27, 2006

The $2.5 Million Ugly Duckling

We use the Blasco Library quite often but only key in on the artwork while in line waiting to check out. They have some large, beautiful paintings behind the desk that I stare at and envy.

All the hoopla over that $2,500,000 painting made me want to search it out. It was upstairs behind glass. I must have walked past it before as I've been up in the microfilm area on the second floor a few times doing some research. No, it doesn't look like $100 let alone millions more. A famous artist painted it and maybe there is something about the color or technique that is so wonderful (but the color is neutral, bland and boring to me.) Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay. If they could sell it for millions then it is worth that to someone.

Even if you think it may be "ugly" like everyone says (and it pretty much is to me, I just don't get it) go up and see it. You'll see some gorgeous paintings right across from it. Beautifully done paintings in a style everyone would appreciate that rivals any in a good museum.

I have recycled my newspapers so I can't find the quote from someone at the library but didn't they say there were some more paintings in storage? Why aren't they out on display? I'd love to see more beautiful artwork and it doesn't need to be worth $2.5 million to be appreciated.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I question Debbie Vahanians ability to accurately appraise the value of this painting.
Hard to say.

Erie's Argonaut said...

I guess rarity and size has a lot to do with it. I think there probably are a few people that have bottomless checking accounts that would pay whatever it takes to get something by an artist they love. Even though I didn't care much for that painting it was fun seeing it in person.