Monday, October 24, 2005

Don't Take it Literally


"He made the save standing on his head!", screamed the announcer on TV as I walked into the room. "Darn, I missed it! What a show off, he really made a save standing on his head?", I asked my husband. Thank goodness he set me straight about hockey expressions way back then because I'd hate to think that a credulous person like me could have and possibly would have believed the puck had eyes or that there was cutlery out on the ice.

Here are just a few of the hockey expressions I've personally heard from the colorful hockey announcers after some big plays in the past few weeks of NHL hockey. The Penguins announcers are the most expressive. I can visualize these expressions and find them quite funny and hope you do to.

  • Oh, he blew a tire!
  • He was hit in the noodle!
  • The puck had eyes!
  • He takes the kitchen sink in with him!
  • Buy Sam a drink and get his dog one too!
  • He beat him like a rented mule!
  • He's taking the heat out of a hot kitchen!
  • Boy, can he set the table, he brought in the cutlery!
  • Well, how much chicken can you eat!
  • Fasten your seatbelts!
  • The turkey is on the table again for the Penguins!
  • Slap me silly, Sidney!
  • They were chopping lumber there!
  • The table's set there just isn't anyone there for dinner!
  • Let's go hunt moose on a Harley!
  • Oh, she wants to sell my monkey!
  • Oh, get that dog off my lawn!
  • They're heading for the vomitories here in St. Louis!
  • He didn't know whether to cry or wind his watch!

No comments: