Monday, November 21, 2005

I Tried My Steam Machine, Review

Bissell 9400 ProHeat 2X Select Upright Deep Carpet Cleaner (This model has 12 rows of brushes and edge brushes, stair attachment, spot cleaner attachment, squeegee attachment, and a turbo upholstery attachment.)

The directions stink, that's all there is too it. But once you figure it all out, it is easy to use.

Drawbacks
  • The tank is kind of small you have to dump it quite often. (But it would be bulkier and heavier to have a larger tank.)
  • If you don't make sure the solution tank's top is screwed on tightly and if the tank isn't seated perfectly, the whole tank ends up as a puddle on the floor. (don't ask me how I know this.) I think they could have made it more idiot proof.
  • It doesn't hold much water so you have to fill it quite often.
  • The beater brushes hardly were touching my kitchen carpet. Probably works better on higher pile carpets.
  • The edge brushes don't turn or anything. They just sit there. I didn't see any use for them as they barely touch the rug.
  • I didn't notice the water being any hotter but I didn't take a thermometer to check it.
  • Poor instructions.
  • Would be hard to fill and empty in a smaller sink. It is easy in a larger kitchen sink.
Good Points
  • The rug came very clean. I was surprised how clean it got.
  • The way they have it set up it is very easy to dump and refill the container once you have done it once and understand the process.
  • It didn't leave the rug too wet. I was careful to keep going over it to get as much water as I could out of it.
  • Even though it is a pretty large machine, it is easy to wheel about to put away.
  • Nothing broke. I read reviews on a similar model that the plastic parts break very easily. So far so good.
  • On our entry off the kitchen we had what looked like water ring stains where our boots tracked in snow and salt. It never would vacuum out but this took it out. It must have been salt stains.
I haven't tried the attachments yet. Might be a while but I'll do a review on them, too, just in case someone is thinking about buying this model.

No comments: