TIP OF THE DAY. Don't try to step on the newly finished floor before you are sure it is totally cured. But I needed to get upstairs and it felt dry to the touch.......
What I've done already on the stairs.
- Patched the ceiling.
- Primed, textured and painted the ceiling.
- Stripped off the old wallpaper on the landing.
- Ripped up the 50s or 60s shag carpeting.
- Stripped the oak wood baseboards and flooring on stairs and landing.
- Stripped the oak around the windows on the stair landing.
- Sanded all the wood and then applied several coats of dewaxed garnet shellac on baseboards, floor and window trim. ( Plus a redo on the floor for my "stepping on" mistake)
- Apply a few blonde dewaxed shellac top coats on all wood.
- Top all wood on stairs with Waterlox.
- Touch up paint on walls around the windows and baseboards.
- Put up new wallpaper on landing area.
- The outside wall along the stairs is red. It wants to oxidize and chalk so I'm going to coat it with a poly when I'm done with everything else.
- Pick out and hang some kind of curtain on the upper level window. It is hard to find something that will look good in a window that only 40 inches by 20 inches. I may make something myself.