Saturday, June 11, 2005

June 11, 2005

What a Shock

What a shock the first time we saw the land south of the mall stripped of its trees. I don't think I'll ever get used to it. That song "Big Yellow Taxi" Joni Mitchell, comes to mind with the lyrics: "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot." The next generation will remember the new buildings going up there as always being there. And they will get shocked when some nice wooded areas are taken away from them. And so it goes, 'till it's gone.

They Mock Us

Trust me when I say the people out west are mocking us. They see on their news channels that we are in a heat wave with 90 degree day and people trying to find relief.. They are saying, "What pansies! Ooooohhh, 90 degrees, big hairy deal." That is because 90 is nothing out there. It isn't hot until it hits 105. Then you'd be able to complain. I was one of those people. Not anymore. We just didn't know first hand about the "humidity" factor. I never suffered from heat until I came here. Forgive them for they know not of what they jest.

Perfect Evening

Yesterday evening I sat out on the deck and did nothing but drink a Snapple and eat a couple of cookies. I really enjoyed watching the robins pulling up worms from the recently over-turned soil and see the baby chipmunks brave their way too close to me in order to get some last-chance-of- the-day bird seed. The evening had a good breeze and was such a relief from the day's heat. My thought was, "what a great night this would have been to go see a SeaWolves game." I have only seen 2 of them since I've been here. I'm making it a point on the next perfect evening to go see one.

No comments: